The plan: cover 3,200 miles over four weeks, from Prudhoe Bay to Glacier National Park via Denali, the Yukon, BC, ferries, flights, roads, and (according to Beau) longboards. We leave, for better or worse, today. See you in a month!
Greg Tracy took the EV record and 2nd place overall in this year’s Pikes Peak Hillclimb. Next year, I expect electrics to take the overall record—and pretty much every other racing category by the end of the decade.
The Sound of Rain
Spoon & Tamago via Gizmodo
Cinematography: David Moss
I find yes/no questions incredibly useful as filters to help guide complex decisions. Forcing a decision tree into a series of yes/no questions can help cut through the fog of apples-to-oranges comparisons, bias, or ambiguous data. Recently, with respect to product, I like to ask this one:
Have you created the best answer to somebody’s question?
In this question, “somebody” represents the customer, “question” the need or problem, and together they represent your market. If you can definitively answer “yes”—even for a narrowly-defined market (e.g. San Francisco smartphone owners looking for a ride on demand)—you’ve created the basis for a monopoly.
Similarly, growth means either changing the somebody or changing the question. And retention means making sure the answer to the original question stays “yes.”
Last week I spent a few days unplugged, hiking in the south island of New Zealand. A debt of gratitude to Michael, Allen, Yvonne, and team at Wilderness Lodge for the incredible welcome.
Shiny Hammers, from two talks I gave in October 2013—Optimal Experience in Wellington, New Zealand and the H2O Summit at LinkedIn HQ.
Trans-Pacific flights + love songs for my better half @ 124 BPM.
Download “10,000 Goodnight Kisses” mixtape (120MB / 256kbps AAC)
- The Afro-Soultet — Afrodesia
- Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi — Two Against One
- Karmon — Feel It
- Ultraísta — Smalltalk (Four Tet Remix)
- Bonobo — Cirrus
- Foals — Big Big Love (Fig.2)
- Daft Punk — Giorgio by Moroder
- Steve Aoki — Heartbreaker (feat. Lovefoxxx)
- Miike Snow — Silvia
- The Fort Knox Five — Blowin’ Up The Spot
- Panthers — Goblin City (Holy Ghost! Disco Dub)
- Al Green — Let’s Get Married
- Breakbot — Why (feat. Ruckazoid)
- DCUP — I’m Corrupt
- Disclosure — F For You
- Breakbot — Shades of Black
- Classix – All You’re Waiting for (feat. Nancy Whang)
- Yelle – Que veux-tu (Madeon Extended Remix)
- Flight Facilities – Crave You (Version 2)
- Lady Danville – Kids
- Gotye – Easy Way Out
- Kidnap Kid – Thin Lines (feat. Lotti)
- John Newman – Love Me Again
- Peking Duk – The Way You Are
- Feed Me & Crystal Fighters – Love Is All I Got
Pretty gets you 30 seconds.
Usable gets 5 minutes.
Useful gets a customer.